Saturday, September 16, 2006

Calling for Another Crusade Pope???



The Pope in a tactless speech used inflammatory qoutes from some no name Byzantine emperor from the dark ages to describe the nature of some Islamic values. This has caused anger and outrage across the Muslim world. I personally refuse to insult the Pope in anyway I normally go after anyone who makes scathing remarks such as these. Not because of who he is (personally, I think nothing of him) but so not to offend many of my friends who are Catholics and have respect for the office. But I will say that an apology is in order, not only to Muslims but to his constituency. This irresponsible move sets a bad stage for pitting the Christian world against the Muslim world. It reminds me of Pope Urban II, the first Pope who called for the Crusade against the Muslims. What was the result of the Crusades? How about an enduring distrust and hostility towards the Christian West. In a world where are trying to come together, the Pope's remarks are following in his predecessor's footsteps that might potentially lead to more death and destruction and more dire, a rift between two of the most influential relgions. If you are Catholic or Muslim, I would like to hear what you have to say about this. Please reply to this article with your opinion. I would like to know whether what the Pope said is really reflective of the Catholic community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home